Tuesday, January 19, 2010

MY BOOK!

MY BOOK!
I did it!
I did it!
Come and look
At what I’ve done!
I read a book!
When someone wrote it
Long ago
For me to read,
How did he know
That this was the book
I’d take from the shelf
And lie on the floor
And read by myself?
I really read it!
Just like that!
Word by word,
From first to last!
I’m sleeping with
This book in bed,
This first FIRST book
I’ve ever read!
~ David L. Harrison ~
(from Somebody Catch My Homework)


That's right, our little Miss Emerson read her first book this weekend!! I'm not gonna lie, we were pretty proud! She has ALWAYS been very interested in books, and if you've spent any amount of time with her, I'm sure she has asked you to read her one ;). She would be completely happy "reading" or being read to the entire day. And of course, we love it. She was interested in learning her letters pretty early and figured out the letter sounds pretty easily as well. I could tell that she was interested in learning to read, but I did NOT know how to teach her. So my mom, Sharee and a few other friends gave me some pointers. She has been "sounding out" different 3-letter-words for a while, so I got her the BOB Books for Christmas. She pulled them off the shelf this weekend and asked me to help her. As I ran my finger under the words, she actually READ them. Sounded them out (not just memorized) and READ the whole stinkin' book. She was so excited and we were too!! So proud of you, little lady!! Hoping we can keep up with your mad skillz ;).